Three years ago, we had a dream. We dreamt that our amazing customers would take our farm-fresh, local ground beef and turn it into something magical. Something with fresh ingredients, great flavour and just the right amount of heat. They’d be making chili, of course, and that chili would be awesome.
So we did it – we organized the first-ever VG Meats Chili Bowl – and it WAS awesome, so we did it again in 2019. Now here we are, on our third year, and we’re just as excited as ever. The 2020 VG Meats Chili Bowl will take place at our retail location in Stoney Creek on Saturday, February 1st, 2020!
What is Chili Bowl – and what can I win?
In case you haven’t been to the VG Meats Chili Bowl before, here’s a quick rundown. Up to 8 contest entrants will prepare homemade chili using VG Meats beef (and/or other proteins from our store). Entrants use their favourite recipes – maybe something they invented themselves, or a family recipe that’s been passed on for generations. Get creative – anything goes!
Customers are then invited to sample all Chili Bowl entries and vote for their favourite using paper ballots provided by VG Meats. Basically, you show up and taste a lot of delicious chili, vote for your favourite and enjoy your day. It’s a lot of fun.
The grand prize winner will receive a $100 gift card to VG Meats, a 10 lb box of VG Meats regular ground beef and a delectable Tomahawk steak (total prize value: around $200). The runner-up will also receive a 10 lb box of regular ground beef (for more chili, obviously). Best of all? The grand prize winner earns the coveted title of VG Meats Chili Master!
Want in? Here are the official rules:
- This contest is open to all customers but not to staff employed by VG Meats
- You are welcome to use any protein you want (beef, pork, turkey, etc) but it must be from VG Meats. A receipt will be required as confirmation of this.
- Entrants must sign up via Facebook prior to the contest (just send us a DM). If you don’t have a Facebook account, please call a VG Meats store to sign up by phone. All entrants will receive email confirmation of their entry.
- A maximum of eight (8) entrants in total will be accepted.
- Entrants must deliver a minimum of 12 cups of prepared chili to VG Meats in Stoney Creek on January 31st, 2020. You are welcome to bring in more – remember, you don’t want to run out of samples and lose votes!
- Your chili must be delivered during regular store hours on January 31st (the day before Chili Bowl), so be sure to arrive before 8:00 pm if you’re going directly to Stoney Creek or by 5:30 pm if you’re dropping it off in Simcoe (we’ll have it transferred to Stoney Creek for the event). We cannot accept entries the morning of the event.
- The winner must agree to share their chili recipe with VG Meats. This recipe will then be shared with the public via our social media channels – so if it’s a top secret family recipe, understand that it won’t be a secret much longer!
- All sampling and voting will be supervised by VG Meats staff. Entrants are welcome to come by the store, try the entries and even cast a vote. All ages can participate, so bring your family and friends!
- Votes will be cast by paper ballot and are limited to ONE per person. Entries will be labeled by random number, not entrant name.
- The sampling/voting period will begin at 11:00 am and end at 2:00 pm OR whenever samples run out.
- A winner will be announced before the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 2nd, 2020.
See you on February 1st!
Fire up those slow cookers and stove tops – the VG Meats Chili Bowl is just over two weeks away! Remember, simply DM us on Facebook or call to sign up. We look forward to some great entries and to seeing plenty of VG Meats customers in the store for this great event. Remember – come hungry! See you there, friends.