Giving back to the Ontario beef industry, one butchery class at a time.
It’s Tuesday night, and the VG Meats butcher shop is full of eager young students ready to learn. There’s Ishmael – a butcher from our staff, Troy – the Fanshawe College instructor, some college students and recent high school grads, plus a few members of the food industry with an interest in expanding their skill set. The class runs from 5-9 pm (yes, it’s a four hour commitment) and covers everything from disassembly and cutting to equipment use and sanitation. It takes up a good chunk of our time, and it’s not a profit center for us – in fact, we close operations early to make these events happen. It may sound crazy, but we know what we’re doing: contributing to the food and agriculture community by sharing our expertise with the next generation.
MAY LONG WEEKEND SPECIALS
- Top Sirloin Steak – $10.95/lb
- Beef Filet Mignon (Whole Piece and Steaks) – $24.95/lb
- Flattened Chickens – $4.65/lb
- 10lb Chopped Sirloin Patties (Frozen) – $5.25/lb *cannot be combined with coupons*
- 6 pack Flat Iron Steaks (Frozen) – $10.95/lb
- 6 lb Boneless Pork Loin Chops (Frozen) – $3.99/lb
- Sliced Black Forest Ham (Fresh) – $4.99/lb (Max 1 free lb per person)
- Lean Ground Pork (Fresh) – $3.45/lb (Max 2 free lbs per person)
- Whole Peameal Bacon – $4.95/lb
- Sliced Peameal Bacon – $5.95/lb
BLOW OUT SPECIAL
- 10lb Jumbo Pork Hot Dogs (Frozen) – $2.65/lb
- Smoked Picnic Hams – $0.99/lb
- Top Sirloin Steak (portion packed) 5 lb box Frozen
- Chicken Legs (portion packed) 10 lb Frozen
- Quarter Pounder Hamburgers (portion packed) 10 lb box Frozen
- Pork Butt Chops (portion packed) 10 lb box Frozen
SAVE $61.70 from the Fresh Counter!
It’s no secret that family is huge to VG Meats. After all, we’re a partnership of four brothers with a long history of farming, butchering and working together. We’ve written about how our grandfather started VG Meats many years ago, and how our father taught us everything we know (we’ve tried to return the favour). But through all of our successes (and the occasional failure) we’ve relied on the hard work and support of one person: Mom VG (or as others call her, Joan Van Groningen).
Speaking on behalf of my brothers and I (Kevin), my mom has been there since day one. Her commitment to our family is amazing to see, both in terms of the business and as a loving mother of four. This is a woman who is truly dedicated to her family, and demonstrates it every day of our lives. She works hard at home and on the farm, and still finds to time to connect with all of her children. Nowadays, she’s not only a wife and mother to the VG family – she’s also a grandmother to 8 VG children (the next generation of farmers, perhaps)!